Nazareth is a Scottish rock rock music band musical ensemble that had several hard rock hits hit record in the UK in the early 1970s, and established an international audience with their 1975 album Hair of the Dog. Primarily an albums band, they had one notable international hit single, in 1975, with a cover of the ballad "Love Hurts". The band continues to record and tour to the present day.
Nazareth was formed in December 1968 in Dunfermline, Scotland, out of the ashes of semi-professional local group The Shadettes (formed in 1961) by vocalist singer Dan McCafferty, guitarist Manny Charlton (ex Mark V and The Red Hawks), bassist Pete Agnew, and drummer Darrell Sweet Darrell Sweet (musician) . They took their name from the first line of The Band's classic song "The Weight" ("I pulled into Nazareth Nazareth, Pennsylvania / Was feelin' about half past dead...")
In 1979, second guitarist Zal Cleminson was added to the line-up, remaining for two albums, No Mean City No Mean City (album) and Malice in Wonderland Malice in Wonderland (Nazareth album) , and contributing numerous compositions. Malice in Wonderland produced a po***r AOR single called "Holiday". In 1981, they contributed the song "Crazy (A Suitable Case for Treatment)" to the soundtrack Heavy Metal (film)#soundtrack to the film, Heavy Metal Heavy Metal (film) .
Various Nazareth line-ups continued to make studio albums and tour throughout the 1980s and 1990s, although their po***rity had declined such that some albums no longer received either a UK or a U.S. release. They remained po***r in Europe, particularly Germany, where "Dream On" became a hit single. Billy Rankin Billy Rankin (guitarist) returned for a second spell in the ranks in 1991 for the No Jive album, replacing Manny Charlton who pursued a solo solo (music) career.
A tribute came in 1993 when Guns N' Roses covered Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog" on "The Spaghetti Incident?", consolation after they turned down Axl Rose's request for the group to play at his wedding. Rankin departed again in 1994, but with Jimmy Murrison and keyboard keyboard instrument player Ronnie Leahy, Nazareth maintained a live following in Europe and the U.S.
In 1999, while touring the U.S., original drummer Darrell Sweet died at age 51 of a heart attack myocardial infarction . He was replaced by bassist Pete Agnew's son Lee Lee Agnew for later editions of the band.
In February 2008, an album was released on the Hamburg based label record label Edel Entertainment entitled The Newz The Newz (album) . The release of the album coincided with Nazareth's fortieth anniversary tour which started on 25 January in Sweden and visited most of Europe, finishing on 4 November 2008 in Norway.performing in 1976
performing in 2007
* Dan McCafferty (1968-present)
* Manny Charlton (1968–1990)
* Zal Cleminson (1978–1980)
* Billy Rankin (1981–1983, 1990–1994)
* Jimmy Murrison (1994–present)
* John Locke (1980–1982)
* Ronnie Leahy (1994–2002)
* Darrell Sweet (1968–1999)
* Lee Agnew (1999–present)
* Pete Agnew (1968–present)* Nazareth Nazareth (album) (1971)
* Exercises Exercises (album) (1972)
* Razamanaz (1973)
* Loud 'n' Proud (1973)
* Rampant Rampant (album) (1974)
* Hair of the Dog (1975)
* Greatest Hits Greatest Hits (Nazareth album) (1975)
* Close Enough for Rock 'n' Roll (1976)
* Hot Tracks Hot Tracks (album) (1976)
* Play 'n' the Game (1976)
* Expect No Mercy (1977)
* No Mean City No Mean City (album) (1979)
* Malice in Wonderland Malice in Wonderland (Nazareth album) (1980)
* The Fool Circle (1981)
* Snaz (1981)
* 2XS (1982)
* Sound Elixir (1983)
* The Catch The Catch (album) (1984)
* The Ballad Album (1985)
* Cinema Cinema (album) (1986)
* Snakes 'n' Ladders (1989)
* The Ballad Album Vol.2 (1989)
* BBC Radio 1 Live in Concert BBC Radio 1 Live in Concert (Nazareth album) (1991)
* No Jive (1991)
* From the Vaults (1993)
* Move Me (1994)
* Boogaloo Boogaloo (album) (1998)
* Greatest Hits Volume II Greatest Hits Volume II (Nazareth album) (1998)
* Live at the Beeb (1998)
* The Very Best of Nazareth (2001)
* Homecoming Homecoming (Nazareth album) (2002)
* Alive and Kicking Alive and Kicking (album) (2003)
* Maximum XS: The Essential Nazareth (2004)
* The River Sessions Live 1981 The River Sessions Live 1981 (album) (2004)
* Live in Brazil Live in Brazil (Nazareth album) (2007)
* The Newz The Newz (album) (2008)
* Golden Hits Nazareth Golden Hits Nazareth (Nazareth album) (date unknown)
* The text above is either a part or the full text originally published at http://www.wikipedia.org/
* The text above is subject to CC-BY-SA: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
All lyrics are property and copyright of their respective authors, artists and labels. All lyrics provided for educational purposes only.
On LyricsInfo.org you can find lyrics, album names, artist overviews, history, current and past members of bands, listen and watch videos.