Lush were an English England alternative rock band, formed in 1987 and disbanded in 1996. They were one of the first bands to attract the "shoegazing" label, later moving toward Britpop.
The band formed in 1987, initially named The Baby Machines, with a line-up of Meriel Barham (vocals), Emma Anderson (guitar), Miki Berenyi (guitar), Steve Rippon (bass), and Chris Acland (drums).
In October 1996, tragedy struck the band when drummer Chris Acland committed suicide by hanging himself in his parents' house. After a long period of grieving, the band continued for a time, with rumours that they were working with former Scarce drummer Stephen Albert, but they officially announced that they had split up on February 23, 1998.Miki Berenyi went on to work as senior sub-editor at a major magazine publisher.
Their song "Sweetness and Light" was used in a commercial by Volkswagen, and the song "Ladykillers" was part of the soundtrack for EA Sports' NCAA Football 06 video game. "De-Luxe" is featured as a playable track in the po***r music video game Rock Band 2 List of songs in Rock Band 2 , while "Sweetness and Light" is available as a downloadable track for the Rock Band series. "Undertow" was used in a Levi's Levi Strauss & Co. commercial and in one of the trailers to the 1996 movie Crash Crash (1996 film) . "Light from a Dead Star" was used in the trailer for Solaris Solaris (2002 film) .
Lush's version of The Rubinoos song, "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend," (retitled "I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend" for Lush's authorized version) was cited in a 2007 lawsuit filed by the Rubinoos against Avril Lavigne, whose song "Girlfriend" bore similarities to the Lush cover of the Rubinoos song. A settlement in the case has since been reached.
Singles and EPs
1 The two CD releases for "Single Girl," "Ladykillers," and "500" had different bonus tracks on them.
* "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" appears on Alvin Lives (In Leeds) Anti Poll Tax Trax (1990, CD, Midnight Music CLANG 4CD)
* A live version of "Starlust" recorded on the NME Stage, Glastonbury Glastonbury Festival on 27 June 1992 appears on In a Field of Their Own (1992, CD)
* "Tiny Smiles" appears on Volume Two Volume Two (Volume magazine album) (1991, CD)
* A demo version of "Desire Lines" appears on The 13 Year Itch (1993, CD, 4AD Cat. No. SHUFFLE)
* An alternative version of "The Childcatcher" appears on All Virgos Are Mad (1994, CD, 4AD Cat. No. 45789)
* A demo version of "Tinkerbell" appears on Volume Ten (1994, CD, RTM/Pinnacle 10VCD10)
* "Undertow" (The Spooky Mix) appears on the Doom Generation soundtrack (1995, CD, Warner Bros / Wea B000002MAG)
* "All This Useless Beauty," an Elvis Costello cover, appears on the Elvis Costello & The Attractions maxi-single for "You Bowed Down" (1996, CD, Warner Bros. Records)
* "I Have the Moon" appears on the Nowhere soundtrack (1997, CD, Polygram Records B000001ERO)
* "Last Night (Darkest Hour Mix)" appears in the 1997 movie City of Industry (film) (1997, CD, Polygram B000001EAG).
* An instrumental version of "Light from a Dead Star" appears on the soundtrack to Joyride Joyride (1996 film) (1997, CD, 4AD/Warner Bros. 9 46825-2)
* "Sweetness and Light" (The Orange Squash Mix) remixed by My Bloody Valentine My Bloody Valentine (band) appears on the Splendor soundtrack (1999, CD, Astralwerks ASW6282-2)
* An instrumental version of "Light from a Dead Star" appears in the trailer for the movie Solaris (2002 film).
* Lush's song "De-Luxe" is a playable track in the video games Rock Band 2 and Rock Band Unplugged.
* Lush's song "Sweetness and Light" is a playable track made available for download for the Rock Band series of video games.
* The text above is either a part or the full text originally published at http://www.wikipedia.org/
* The text above is subject to CC-BY-SA: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
All lyrics are property and copyright of their respective authors, artists and labels. All lyrics provided for educational purposes only.
On LyricsInfo.org you can find lyrics, album names, artist overviews, history, current and past members of bands, listen and watch videos.